What to Do When the Information in Your Marriage Certificate is Incorrect

Have you recently tied the knot, only to find that the name of the bride or groom on your marriage certificate is misspelled? Don’t fret – this is a more common issue than you might think. Whether it was a typo made by the person responsible for inputting the information or a miscommunication between you and your partner, it can be frustrating to have your legal documentation incorrect.

Also read: How to Apply Marriage License in Lapu-Lapu City, Cebu

One potential issue you may encounter is a discrepancy between the first name of the bride or groom as it appears on the Certificate of Marriage (COM) versus the registered Certificate of Live Birth (COLB). While this can be a headache, don’t worry – the solution is relatively straightforward.

Marriage Certificate, Wedding, Bride, Document, Signing

What are the RA 9048 and RA 10172?

Republic Act (RA) 9048 in the Philippines allows for the correction of clerical or typographical errors in an individual’s civil registry document. It’s important to note that changes or corrections can’t be made to just any detail; they must specifically be clerical or typographical in nature.

According to Section 2 of Republic Act 10172, these mistakes are ones that were made during the process of typing, writing, transcribing, or copying an entry in the civil register.

Some examples of allowable corrections under RA 9048 include:

  • Errors in an individual’s birth date
  • Mistakes in the place of birth
  • Errors in gender
  • Mistakes in a person’s name

ra 9048

These errors are typically obvious to anyone who reads the document and do not involve any complex issues related to a person’s civil status or nationality. For more complex issues, different legal procedures may apply.

Who May File the Petition?

The petition for correction of a clerical error can be filed by individuals who have a direct and personal interest in the matter. Specifically, the following people are permitted to file such a petition:

  1. The document owner themselves or their authorized representative
  2. The spouse of the document owner
  3. Any children, parents, or grandparents of the document owner
  4. Any siblings (brothers or sisters) of the document owner
  5. Any other person who is legally authorized to file the petition on behalf of the document owner


It’s important that the petition is verified, meaning it is supported by a sworn declaration confirming its contents are true to the best of the petitioner’s knowledge.

What are the Requirements Needed for Filling a Petition?

The process for filing a petition for correction of clerical error involves several requirements:

a. Content of the Petition

The petition should be in the form of a notarized affidavit, containing:

  • The facts or merits of the petition.
  • Information showing that the petitioner is competent to testify about the matters stated in the affidavit.
  • The erroneous entry or entries to be corrected and the proposed corrections.

b. Supporting Documents

The petition should be accompanied by:

  • PSA copy of the marriage certificate containing the entry or entries to be corrected.
  • Marriage Contract.
  • Affidavit of Discrepancy.
  • Notice or Certificate of Posting.
  • Other documents required by the concerned civil registrar or consul general.

c. Distribution of the Petition Documents

The petition and its supporting documents should be filed in three copies:

  • First copy: For the concerned city or municipal civil registrar or consul general.
  • Second copy: For the Office of the Civil Registrar General.
  • Third copy: For the petitioner.

d. Publication

The petition needs to be published at least once a week for two consecutive weeks in a newspaper of general circulation as per Section 5 of RA 9048.

e. Filing Fee

The city or municipal civil registrar and consul general are authorized to collect reasonable fees for processing the petition. The current rates are:

  • Php1,000: For petitions filed with the local civil registry office.
  • $50: For petitions filed with the Consul General.
  • Php500: Additional service fee for migrant petitioners.

For indigent petitioners, there is an exemption from paying the filing fee.

Also read: How to Get Certificate of No Marriage CENOMAR Online

Application Process

Filing a petition for correction of clerical error can indeed be quite straightforward if you have all the necessary documents prepared.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:

Step 1: Submission of Documents

  • Submit the required documents to the civil registry office where the marriage certificate was registered. If the petitioner was born abroad, the documents should be submitted to the nearest Philippine Consulate.

Step 2: Interview

  • Attend an interview conducted by the city or municipal civil registrar or consul general. This is typically to verify the information provided and to discuss the details of the petition.

Step 3: Payment of Fees

  • Pay the appropriate fees at the treasury office. Following this, you’ll need to present the official receipt to the city or municipal civil registrar or consul general.

Step 4: Claiming the Approved Petition

  • You can claim the approved petition on the date set by the civil registry office or consul general. Ensure you bring along the official receipt when you go to claim it.

Step 5: Issuance of Certificate of Finality

  • After your petition has been approved, the civil registry office or consul general will issue a Certificate of Finality, along with a copy of the approved petition. This certificate confirms that the corrections to the record have been made and are now final.


Remember, each case might vary slightly based on individual circumstances, so it’s always a good idea to confirm the specifics with your local civil registry office or consulate.

Reviewing / Checking the Petition Papers

Once the petition documents have been submitted, the civil registrar or consul general will undertake an examination of them. This examination involves checking that the petition complies with the required format and includes all the necessary content.

If the petition meets these requirements, it will be posted in a public place for 10 consecutive days. This is to allow any interested parties the chance to review the proposed changes and raise any objections if they have any.

After this 10-day posting period has been completed, the civil registrar or consul general will then decide whether to approve or deny the petition. They must make this decision within five working days after the completion of the posting or publication requirement.


It’s important to remember that the approval or denial of the petition is at the discretion of the civil registrar or consul general, based on their evaluation of the petition and any potential objections raised during the posting period.

Also read: How to Register Live Birth at Civil Registrar Cebu City Civil Registrar

Why it is Important to Correct Errors on a Marriage Certificate

Correcting errors on a marriage certificate is important for several reasons:

  1. Legal Accuracy: A marriage certificate is a legal document. Any inaccuracies can complicate matters related to identity, inheritance, divorce proceedings, and more.
  2. Immigration Process: If you or your spouse are planning to immigrate, inconsistencies or errors in your marriage certificate might delay the immigration process.
  3. Validation of Marriage: Serious mistakes may even invalidate your marriage. Every detail on the certificate needs to be correct to ensure that the marriage is legally recognized.
  4. Accurate Record Keeping: Correct information on your marriage certificate ensures accurate public records. This is crucial for census data and other demographic considerations.
  5. Avoid Future Complications: Mistakes on the marriage certificate can lead to potential future complications, such as issues with insurance claims, property ownership, and establishing next of kin.

Given these reasons, it’s crucial to correct any errors on a marriage certificate as soon as they are identified.



It’s not uncommon to find errors on official documents, including marriage certificates. When it comes to correcting mistakes on your official marriage certificate, taking action is vital. To correct any errors on your marriage certificate, you will need to file a petition. This process can be relatively straightforward if you know what to do.

Avoiding delays and ensuring that your petition is processed correctly is essential for a timely and seamless correction. Don’t hesitate to take advantage of resources available to you, such as assistance or online resources, to help guide you through the process. By taking the appropriate steps to correct any errors on your official marriage certificate, you can avoid future problems and enjoy peace of mind.

Photo of author


Hi, I am Laika and I am a full-blooded Cebuana, born and raised in Toledo City, Cebu. A mother of 2 girls. I love spending time with my family, watching movies and exploring the beauty of nature. For collabs, email me at hicebu247@gmail.com.

Leave a Comment