How to Make Official Changes to Your Gender on a PSA Birth Certificate

Gender is one of the most fundamental aspects of our identity, and it has a profound impact on our lives. Unfortunately, there are times when even this basic piece of information can be recorded incorrectly on important documents, such as birth certificates. Thankfully though, there is a way to correct such errors.

Also read: How to Set an Appointment with PSA Online

Under R.A. 10172, an incorrect gender on your PSA birth certificate is considered a clerical or typographical error and can be corrected by filing a petition for correction at the LCR where the certificate is registered. This is a crucial step towards ensuring gender equality, as it helps to guarantee that everyone is correctly identified in all aspects of life. Moreover, correcting your PSA birth certificate is essential not just for your own peace of mind, but for your family and community as well.


Who Can File the Petition for Gender Correction?

The petition to correct a clerical or typographical error on a PSA birth certificate should be filed by the owner of the document. This means that the person whose birth certificate needs correction is responsible for initiating the process.


Where to File the Petition for Gender Correction?

The petition for correcting clerical or typographical errors on a PSA birth certificate should be filed at the Local Civil Registry (LCR) office where the birth was originally registered or where the birth record is currently stored.

For individuals who were born outside of the Philippines, the petition can be filed at the Philippine Consulate Office that initially reported the birth.

What are the Requirements for Filing a Petition for Gender Correction?

Correcting the gender on a PSA birth certificate requires several important documents.

Here’s a general list, but remember to check with the local civil registry office for any additional requirements:

PSA Birth Certificate: The birth certificate that shows the incorrect gender of the owner.

PSA Marriage Certificate: If the owner of the document is married, they will need to provide their marriage certificate.

PSA Birth Certificates of Children: If the document owner has children, their birth certificates will also be required.

Earliest School Records or Requirements: These can be used as supporting documents.

Medical Records: A certification issued by an accredited government physician stating that the petitioner has not undergone a sex change or sex transplant.

Baptismal Certificate and Other Religious Documents: These documents may be used if issued by religious authorities.

Clearances or Certifications: These confirm that the owner of the PSA birth certificate does not have any pending administrative, civil, or criminal case, or no criminal record. Clearances can be obtained from:

  • Employer, if employed
  • National Bureau of Investigation
  • Philippine National Police

Two Valid IDs: Any two valid public or private IDs that can serve as a basis for the correction. Examples include:

  • PRC license
  • Driver’s license
  • Bank records
  • Company ID
  • Voter’s ID
  • SSS, GSIS, PhilHealth IDs

Affidavit of Publication: This should come from the publisher and a copy of the newspaper clipping should be included.

Remember, this is a legal process and it’s advised to consult a legal professional or the local civil registry office for advice tailored to your situation.

Also read: How to Apply DSWD Cash Aid Transportation Assistance

Steps on How to Correct Gender on Your PSA Birth Certificate

Correcting the gender on a PSA birth certificate in the Philippines involves a legal process.

Step 1: File a Petition

The first step is to file a petition for correction of clerical error under the provisions of Republic Act 10172. This involves submitting a verified petition to the local civil registry office where the birth was registered.

Step 2: Required Documents

You need to prepare supporting documents. These usually include your birth certificate, NBI Clearance, Police Clearance, and Medical Certification among others. However, it’s important to check with the local civil registry for specific requirements.

Step 3: Publication

Once the petition is accepted, there will be a publication requirement. The civil registrar will post a notice at a conspicuous place for ten consecutive days. After which, if there is no opposition, the civil registrar can correct the entry.

Step 4: Finalization

After the correction has been made, the local civil registrar will submit the petition and supporting documents to the Office of the Civil Registrar General for approval.

Step 5: New Birth Certificate

Once approved, a new birth certificate will be issued with the corrected gender.

Please note that this is a general guide and the process may vary depending on the specific circumstances and local regulations. Always consult with a legal professional or the local civil registry office for advice tailored to your situation.

How much is the Fee?

The process of correcting the gender on a PSA birth certificate typically involves a fee of PHP 3,000. This is the standard fee for such a petition. However, additional costs may also be incurred for document-related services like publication and notarization, which are often handled by the Local Civil Registry (LCR) office.




Having an error on your PSA birth certificate can be truly disappointing, especially when it is discovered right before an important transaction. It could happen when you are about to apply for a marriage license, or when you are in the process of claiming your loan proceeds from a bank. This is why it is crucial to always check your PSA certificates ahead of time.

One of the most common mistakes found on PSA certificates is incorrect gender information, but thankfully there is a solution: a petition for gender correction. This type of petition is submitted to the Local Civil Registry (LCR) to request corrections to your PSA certificate. With this simple solution, you can avoid any inconvenience caused by incorrect personal information on your PSA birth certificate.

Photo of author


Hi, I am Laika and I am a full-blooded Cebuana, born and raised in Toledo City, Cebu. A mother of 2 girls. I love spending time with my family, watching movies and exploring the beauty of nature. For collabs, email me at

Leave a Comment